Monday, April 5, 2010

Edinburgh, Scotland


My day in Edinburgh, Scotland was spent at the castle, and then some free time to walk around the city.  I love the Scottish kilts.  Our Captain on the ship - Captian O'Neil - was from Scotland and he wore his kilt in the evenings. 

I bought a few things, some jewelry with the Celtic design.  The family symbols or clan coat of arms was prominent here, and I found the coat of arms for "Fletcher" which is my mom's maiden name. 
This "castle" in Scotland is where I made the important distinction between castles in Europe and castles in the British Isles.  I was envisioning gold and grandeur, and was a little surprised by these old ruins.  But beautiful in their own way, and full of history. 


The Edinburgh Castle houses the crown jewels of Scotland.  On display were the crown, sword, and sceptre. 
Other cities visited in Scotland were Isle of Skye and Portree.  There was a group of us from the office onboard, and we all met at a local pub for fish and chips. 

And, of course, you can't leave Scotland without seeing the Loch Ness monster.




No comments:

Post a Comment